Re: AP Students

Robert Cohen offered the following response to my earlier posting which he
starts by quoting:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Mike Ugawa wrote:

I have mixed feelings about most of this,
but I am willing to accept that any given approach--including the
"guided discovery and constructivist ideas" mentioned above may not work
well for many students.

It seems to me that you are using "constructivist ideas" more as a
particularly methodology (like discovery learning) rather than a
philosophy of how people learn. Certainly, people have different
preferences regarding the environment in which they learn best or how
they can best recall information. Is this what you are talking about?

I was quoting a phrase as used by Hugh Haskell in a previuos posting,
which I included at the beginning of my response. I agree that
"constructivist ideas" refers to a theory of how learning occurs, while
"guided discovery" is a matter of instructional methodology. If I were to
have edited the quote, I would might have used something like, "guided
discovery and other instructional methods derived from constructivist
ideas."

Best wishes,
Mike Ugawa
St. Ignatius College Prep
San Francisco

* *
* MICHAEL B. UGAWA *
* *
* PHYSICS * CHEMISTRY * COMPUTER SCIENCE *
* *
* EDUCATING THE YOUTH OF TODAY *
* TO FACE THE CHALLENGES OF THE NEW MILLENIUM *
* *
* mugawa@quark.sfsu.edu *
* *