Re: Excess G forces in auto racing

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
It would seem to me that the higher banking keeps the 'g-forces' more
vertical (for the drivers) which should be easier for them to handle than
the high 'gs' on flatter tracks which tend to severely stress the
neck/spine. Running INDY at 220 mph around a 9 degree bank has to be more
stressful on the body than 235 mph on a 24 degree bank. Again, as Hugh
states, we need the radius of the turns to do meaningful calculations.

Rick
A visit to the Texas Motor Speedway web-site gave the turn radius as 750
ft. (229 m). A calculation of the minimum coefficient of friction
necessary to make the 24 degree banked turn at 237 MPH (105 m/s) produced
a value of mu = 1.37.

The CRC states that the coefficient of friction for rubber on solids is
between 1 and 4.

We also determined the normal force felt by the driver to be 3.1 g's and
the centripetal force to be 4.6 g's,

Pete Lohstreter Happy is he who gets to know the
reasons for things.
The Hockaday School Virgil
(70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
11600 Welch Rd