Re: science myth

Wait a min. -- Birds do not fly -- only some of them do -- remember
"Chicken Run?"

bc

P.s. I think R. J.'s syllogism is quite satisfactory. I recommend a
reading of:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articlesnew/12551.html

Larry Cartwright wrote:

Tim O'Donnell wrote:
I am sure this is a complete science myth.
A duck's quack does not echo.
How can I verify/falsify this without getting a duck?

I don't think you can. In science, the only acceptable way to
verify/falsify is to subject the hypothesis to *physical testing*,
n'est-ce pas? Find an environment that produces echoes of other sounds,
and bring on the ducks.

On the Phys-L list, Rondo Jeffery replied to Tim:
Does sound echo?
Is a quack a sound?
If the answer is yes to both questions,
Then a quack echoes.

This is a joke, yes? You're poking fun at the Aristotelian "science"
that went out of fashion prior to the 18th century? We all know what a
price Galileo and others paid, to get us free from this approach and get
us onto the path of experimentation.

Do birds fly through the air?
Is a penguin a bird?
If the answer is yes to both questions,