Re: Why Do We use B for the Magnetic Field?

I use the symbol B because nearly everybody uses it. Why was
B rather than A chosen, and why it prevailed, is not significant.
But there are many important issues connected with teaching of
magnetism. One of them is the use of the concept of "magnetic
mass", often called pole strength. Should we continue using it
or not? In my opinion the old model is still useful. I know it is
not necessary, like caloric in calorimetry. What is wrong with
starting with the old model and ending with abandoning it?
Ludwik Kowalski

"Oldaker, B. COL PHYSICS" wrote:

Hello from a new subscriber.

Why do we use "B" for the magnetic field? One of my inquiring
instructors wants to know and I can't find it in my weird files.