Re: inductor circuit concept

Rondo Jeffery has answered this question, but it may be worth
emphasizing how never to go wrong in this perennially confusing
situation.

When analyzing a circuit using the loop rule, one generally
chooses (rightly or wrongly) a direction for the current flow in
each leg. Having done that, the potential difference across a
resistor is *always* -iR when one "goes with the flow" and +iR
when one "goes against the flow." This seems natural because of
the obvious and proper analogy with a stream as implied by the
words.

In exactly the same way, the potential difference across an
inductor is *always* -Ldi/dt when one "goes with the flow" and
+Ldi/dt when one "goes against the flow." There is absolutely no
need to make any prior "choice of direction" for di/dt or to
concern yourself in any way whatsoever with the likely sign of
di/dt itself. It works *itself* out in the ensuing algebra in
exactly the same way that the correct sign of i works itself out.
If I have the sign of i wrong, then I have the sign of di/dt wrong
as well but *both* will be fixed automatically by the math.

To remember the correct sign to use in the loop rule, it helps to
carry around a single concrete example. I always refer to the
fact that to make a *positive* current through an inductor
*positive* rate of change, I will need to raise the potential of
the input side relative to the output side thereby creating a
voltage *drop* when I go "with the flow."