AP Students

The issue of what topic should be on an "AP Physics" is quite different
than the issue that *should* be taught in introductory physics.

The content of the Physics-C and Physics-B courses are based on
surveys of colleges and universities with corresponding
courses. Performance on AP items by college students completing such
courses provides the evidence for credit.

Development of a Physics-A means finding post-secondary settings where
such a course is offered, finding common topics and then correlating
performance of college students in these courses ontest items with
high school students taking the same items in the Physics A. Do colleges
offer a conceptually based course with a common collection of topics?
Would credit be awarded for some course like a Physics-A?

We think conceptual understanding is important. We decided in (our
high school) to offer pre AP level physics for this reason. Is it
required to have a pre-AP conceptual course for success? We think not..
because many students take and pass the AP in first year courses
everywhere. Based on my experience the lessons of a conceptual course
are more permanent than the quantitative problem solving.

It is readily apparent to me that quantitative skills are retained only if
continually used and honed. AP students back from Winter break never do as
well on the SAME material as just before leaving. Students that come for
review sessions (seniors are out 2 weeks prior to AP Exams!) do much
better (than projected) than those who do not come. Quantitative skills
and conceptual knowledge may be interelated but they are not the same.

Typed too much...bell going off...next of five daily classes pouring
in...got to run.

Tim Burgess