From: Bernard Cleyet <georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: 2001 April 19 5:00 AM
Subject: Re: I have a virus.

Is this an IBM only virus, or does it infect Mac's? What if one has
virtual PC?
Does this sensitize a Mac. for all PC viri?

bc

Doug Craigen wrote:

For anybody who suspects they may have this virus - I know it well as I
cleaned off two friends computers last weekend. As far as email worms
go, this one is nasty.

You can get a free tool at http://www.avp.com/ (bottom of the page)
which is only around 200K and cleans it off your hard computer (if
you're not infected, you will find that out too). The benefit here is
that you can put this on a floppy, that way you can boot up the computer
and clean it immediately, without waiting to download the latest virus
definitions (this one is only a month old). If you're online
downloading on an infected computer, the virus is likely busy sending
itself to people in your address book and "sent" mail folder.

Norton does detect and clean this one too (I deliberately placed but
didn't run an infected file on my own computer to check), but your
definitions have to be up to date. McAfee's web site indicates they
haven't caught on to the various "payloads" yet, as they only have it
listed as a medium threat.

"William J. Larson" wrote:

I've sent this message to every person in my mail address book. :-|
I hope this message was not necessary for you, but a useless message
is
better than a virus. :-|

I got a virus 12 hours ago.

It appears that most office systems are repelling it (& complaining to
me.)
But if you have your own computer at home & are not running an
anti-virus
program, buy one today.

My virus will or already has sent you email with an .exe. If you get
it,
delete it immediately.

My version of Norton Anti-Virus has not deleted my virus. I have sent
several
messages to Norton tech support. When they wake up on the East coast,
Iâ?Tll
probably get a useful answer & kill it.

It seems to be called PE_MAGISTR.A. Itâ?Ts very bad. After 1 month it
begins
to kill your computer! I have just backed up all my personal files
(400 MB).

I'm VERY, VERY sorry. :-((

Good luck,
Bill Larson
PS wish me luck!

PPS from:

http://www.wopr.com/wwinfo/virframe.htm

W32.Magistr.24876@mm
Discovered on: March 13, 2001
Last Updated on: April 4, 2001 at 11:55:55 AM PDT

pf/w32.magistr.24876@mm.htmlPrinter-friendly version
Due to the increased number of submissions, SARC has updated the
threat
level of this virus from 3 to 4.
W32.Magistr.24876@mm is a virus that has email worm capability. It is
also
network aware. It infects Windows Portable Executable (PE) files, with
the
exception of .dll system files, and sends email messages to addresses
that
it gathers from the Outlook/Outlook Express mail folders (.dbx, .mbx),
the
sent items file from Netscape, and Windows address books (.wab), which
are
used by mail clients such as Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook
Express,. The email message may have up to two attachments, and it has
randomly generated subject line and message body.
Also Known As: I-Worm.Magistr, PE_MAGISTR.A, W32.Magistr@mm
Category: Virus, Worm
Infection Length: varies
Virus Definitions: March 13, 2001
Threat Assessment:
Wild:
ï,· Number of infections: 50 - 999
ï,· Number of sites: More than 10
ï,· Geographical distribution: Medium
ï,· Threat containment: Moderate
ï,· Removal: Moderate
Damage:
ï,· Payload:
ï,· Large scale e-mailing: Uses email addresses from the Windows
Address Book
files and Outlook Express Sent Items folder.
ï,· Causes system instability: Overwrites hard drives, erases CMOS,
flashes
the BIOS.
ï,· Releases confidential info: It could send confidential Microsoft
Word
documents to others.
characters
long.
ï,· Name of attachment: One randomly named infected executable and
several
randomly selected text or document files
ï,· Target of infection: All Windows PE files that are not .dll files.
Technical description:

When a file that is infected by W32.Magistr.24876@mm is executed, it
searches in memory for a readable, writable, initialized section
inside the
memory space of Explorer.exe. If one is found, a 110-byte routine is
inserted into that area, and the TranslateMessage function is hooked
point to that routine. This code first appeared in W32.Dengue.

When the inserted code gains control, a thread is created and the
original
TranslateMessage function is called. The thread waits for three
minutes
before activating. Then the virus obtains the name of the computer,
converts
it to a base64 string, and depending on the first character of the
name,
creates a file in either the \Windows folder, the \Program Files
folder, or
the root folder. This file contains certain information, such as the
location of the email address books and the date of initial infection.
Then
it retrieves the current user's email name and address information
from the
registry (Outlook, Exchange, Internet Mail and News), or the Prefs.js
file
(Netscape). The virus keeps in its body a history of the 10 most
recently
infected users, and these names are visible in infected files when the
virus
is decrypted. After this, the virus searches for the Sent file in the
Netscape folder, and for .wab, .mbx, and .dbx files in the \Windows
and
\Program Files folders.

If an active Internet connection exists, the virus searches for up to
five
.doc and .txt files and chooses a random number of words from one of
these
files. These words are used to construct the subject and message body
of the
email message. Then the virus searches for up to 20 .exe and .scr
files
smaller than 128 KB, infects one of these files, attaches the infected
file
to the new message, and sends this message to up to 100 people from
the
address books. In addition there is a 20-percent chance that it will
attach
the file from which the subject and message body was taken, and an
80-percent chance that it will add the number 1 to the second
character of
the sender address. This last change prevents replies from being
returned to
you and possibly alerting you to the infection.
After the mailing is done, the virus searches for up to 20 .exe and
.scr
files, and infect one of these files. Then there is a 25-percent
chance, if
the Windows directory is named one of the following:
ï,· Winnt
ï,· Win95
ï,· Win98
ï,· Windows
that the virus will move the infected file into the \Windows folder
and
alter the file name slightly. Once the file is moved, a run= line is
added
to the Win.ini file to run the virus whenever the computer is started.
In
the other 75 percent of cases, the virus will create a registry subkey
in

The name of this subkey is the name of the file without a suffix, and
the
value is the complete file name of the infected file. The virus then
searches all local hard drives and all shared folders on the network
for up
to 20 .exe and .scr files to infect, and add the run= line if the
\Windows
folder exists in that location.

If the computer has been infected for one month and at least 100
people have
been sent an infected file, and if at least three files contain at
least
three examples from the following list:

sentences you
sentences him to
sentence you to
ordered to prison
convict
, judge
circuit judge
trial judge
found guilty
find him guilty
affirmed
judgment of conviction
verdict
guilty plea
trial court
trial chamber
sufficiency of proof
sufficiency of the evidence
proceedings
against the accused
habeas corpus
jugement
condamn
trouvons coupable
a rembourse
sous astreinte
aux entiers depens
aux depens
ayant delibere
le present arret
vu l'arret
conformement a la loi
execution provisoire
rdonn
audience publique
a fait constater
cadre de la procedure
magistrad
apelante
recurso de apelaci
pena de arresto
y condeno
mando y firmo
calidad de denunciante
costas procesales
diligencias previas
antecedentes de hecho
hechos probados
sentencia
comparecer
juzgando
dictando la presente
los autos
en autos
denuncia presentada
then the virus will activate the first of its payloads. This payload
is
similar to that of W32.Kriz, and it does the following:
ï,· Deletes the infected file
ï,· Erases CMOS (Windows 9x/Me only)
ï,· Erases the Flash BIOS (Windows 9x/Me only)
ï,· Overwrites every 25th file with the text YOUARESHIT as many times
as it
will fit in the file
ï,· Deletes every other file
ï,· Displays the following message: