Re: mass, radiation resistance, et cetera

At 02:34 PM 4/12/01 -0400, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
I suspect that the inquiry was probing the radiation reaction force.

If you include the "self force" of radiation reaction:

F_s = (q^2/6*PI*epsilon*c^3)*(da/dt), where the derivative is the "jerk",

then a lone electron follows the DE:

mx'' =(q^2/6*PI*epsilon*c^3) *x''' , where ' denotes a time derivative.

This has solutions in which the electron flies off to infinity almost
instantaneously.

This is an unsolved problem and points to the limitations and difficulties
inherent in the model of the electron and the consequent calculation of
Fs.

Those who would like more details on this should read _The Feynman Lectures
on Physics_ volume II chapters 27 and 28.

Some folks believe Feynman knew a thing or two about this subject:
http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1965/press.html

===========

For that matter, *everybody* on this list should consider reading those
books cover to cover, if you haven't done so recently. I've done that N
times, and I learn new things each time.

The kids (around here anyway) have ways of finding out about those
books. So if you're not up to speed, you're going to be on the defensive
all the time.

A computer-scientist friend of mine refused to buy a set for his
13-year-old daughter, on the grounds that she would just use it to pepper
him with questions he couldn't answer. That strategy worked for about 3
days, until she found a neighbor who had a set....