Re: 632.8 nm

At 17:32 4/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
"Everyone knows" that the red light from a He-Ne laser is at 632.8
nm--or is 632.8 nm the vacuum wavelength lambda naught?
If so, when we give diffraction and interference problems that
occur in air, shouldn't we use lambda = 632.8 nm/1.00029 = 632.6 nm?
Tom Sandin

There is a wonderful trove of data, protocols and discussion available
at the keyboards where we sit, by accessing Google's cache of hits
responsive to 'He-Ne spectrum'.
One topic that caught my eye was a comparitive method in spectral analysis:
FT vs grating. I saw some discussion of pulling the
laser frequencies and talk of natural line widths - one was
specified as 0.3A ..er.. 0.03 nm.
I expect this represents some kind of experimental water shed in resolution.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!