Re: mass versus radiation resistance

At 06:09 AM 4/10/01 -0500, brian whatcott wrote:

a dissipative effect is not restorative

At 09:02 4/10/01 -0400, John Denker responded:
/snip/
I agree radiation resistance is dissipative. I'm not quite sure what
"restorative" means, but I imagine radiation resistance doesn't "restore"
anything under the usual conditions (low temperature et cetera).
/snip/

Restore has much the same linguistic associations as restitution,
a word that may be more familiar.
This is a term with some currency in physics - as an objective
measure of the energy loss (dissipation) vs energy recovery
in the term,'coefficient of restitution', for example.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!