Re: Question About Charged Particles.

In a message dated 4/7/01 3:11:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV
writes:

<< It is not a question of being smart. It is a question of taking
the time to think deeply. So why don't you spend a couple of days
thinking about our exchange.
Regards,
Jack

Jack Perhaps I should have been more direct in my question. I am not sure
what the problem is with the question, can an electrically charges particle
have zero rest mass? Surely the answer must be yes or no with an explanation.
This was a topic of discussion of another list so I have thought about it.
Let me try again very carefully and perhaps someone on this list could help
and not send me to a physics text without any further information.

Question 1 Can a particle with an electrical charge have a zero rest mass? (
I think not but I dare not say why because that would give ammunition for
someone to explain how I was mixing apples and oranges)

Question 2 Other particles which are massless or were thought to be massless
have COLOR charge or WEAK charge. Is the massless state possible due to the
fact that these are finite ranged interactions?

Example

Electron (left spinning) electric charge = -1 weak charge = -1/2
color charge =[ R-G=0 &G-B=0]

Up Quark electric charge =+2/3 weak charge = +1/2
color charge =[ R-G=+1/2 &G-B=0]( Red for example)

Neutrino (left spinning) electric charge =0 weak charge =+1/2
color charge =[R-G=0 &G-B=0]

It is common usage to use the word CHARGE for the weak charge and color
charge at least Howard Georgi thinks so in his article on SU(5) Good enough
for him good enough for me. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Bob Zannelli