Re: Question About Charged Particles.

In a message dated 4/6/01 11:10:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV
writes:

<< In other words, the question proposed is, as far as I can see,
meaningless like "where does the light go when it goes out?"
More precisely, in what formalism is it true that "there is an
electromagnetic mass associated with a charged particle?". And in what
formalism is it true that "Gluons are believed to have zero rest mass even
though they carry a color charge"?
Having said all this, there is a simple answer to the
non-question; "gluons carry color charge and have zero rest mass, they
are therefore unobservable in isolation."
Regards,
Jack >>

I don't see why the question "can a charged particle have a zero rest mass"
is meaningless. Again here is the summary.
1) Gluons carry color charge and have zero rest mass.
2) Neutrinos were thought to be massless and carry a weak charge
(At least left handed one do)
3) There are no particles which carry an electrical charge that
are massless as far as we know. Is it possible for a charged massless
particle to exist?
Now the crux of this "non question" is that both the weak and
color charge have limited range. The first due to a massive intermediary
boson the latter to the confinement of all colored particles. So the question
becomes is it true that QM and SR (Didn't Dirac unite these two?) allow
massless charges particles if the associated force of their charge is limited
in range.

Bob Zannelli