Re: Efficient cars (was Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR)))

Also started with a '65 beetle but then moved to Hondas (after a brief stint
with an Audi-Fox--a great car when it wasn't in the shop ;-). Have had 8
and each one larger than the last. In fact in '91 we temporarily abandoned
the Accords we had been buying because they had gotten so large and went
back to a Civic that was then about the same size as our '84 Accord.
Mileage increased through the 80's but dropped into the 90's. However there
are other considerations for which I think the Civic versus Accord makes a
good example (we've had 3 Civics and 5 Accords). Simply put, the bigger,
more expensive Accords last longer. The brakes (at 70,000 miles on a '96
with original front disks which the dealer keeps saying are fine) and the
exhaust systems last twice as long. Certainly the ride, comfort, and safety
are all in favor of the Accords. To make a big impact, people must be
convinced to drive Civics over Accords, Metros over Monte Carlos, etc.

All this contributes to the problem of trying to achieve a REALLY high
mileage fleet. I can't see 100 mpg Accords and 80 mpg SUVs in our
foreseeable future. Refinements in the Insight concept might push ONE model
in a maker's line up near 100 mpg, but that is a long way from getting the
fleet mileage up there. The sad fact that despite the 28 mpg cited as the
'official' fleet mileage, because of all the loop-holes, the real automotive
fleet mileage is down around 20 mpg. As I've suggested before, we would
really need to change the 'culture' of the American car buyer to get huge
increases in this fleet mileage.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics