Re: References? (was Re: Global Warming)

I don't know the answer but perhaps the explanation of the descrepancy, if
there is one, has to do with the difference between surface temperatures
and equilibrium temperatures. For example, the equilibrium temperature of
venus is less than the equilibrium temperature of earth. My guess is that
the equilibrium temperature (i.e. the temperature needed to balance the
absorbed solar radiation) more accurately reflects the cloud top
temperature. As long as the earth's albedo doesn't change and the sun's
output doesn't change, we wouldn't expect the equilibrium temperature to
change (venus' equilibrium temperature is low because its albedo is so
high). The presence of CO2 doesn't change the equilibrium temperature but
it does affect the surface temperature.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |