Re: whip crack explanation?

At 12:16 PM -0400 4/4/01, Tim O'Donnell, you wrote about Re: whip
crack explanation?:

> But how is it possible to measure the speed of such a small
> object moving such a short distance in a fraction of a
> second?
> I doubt that it can be done with inexpensive phototimers or
> by ordinary movie cameras.

No, not by ordinary cameras.
I had a parent who was into high speed photography,
He had and brought in (and did the photographing) with
the equipment. I only did it the one time as the family
moved, but it did work.

Tim

Loren Winters (here at NCSSM) has done this with students using a
microphone triggered flash with accurately timed multiple exposures.

The displacements and time intervals clearly showed supersonic motion
of the tip.

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936