Re: Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR))

Rick I don't dispute the points you make. However there is
one form of energy
use in this country where there is a lot of room for savings.
America's love
affair with gas guzzling vehicles has reached a new high (or
is that low)
with the increasing use of giant SUV's which make the Gas
guzzlers of the
1970s seem like econo cars.

I don't really want to defend SUV's, but I own an SUV that gets about 3
times the gas mileage of early 70's 8 cylinder behometh sedan's. The old
Toranado being one of the worst offenders. I suspect that if you look at
fleet averages you will see something close to double the early 70's
standards.

(I admit I bought one of the most fuel efficient SUV's on the market at the
time of purchase, so my 3X figure above is comparing one of the best today
to the worst of 1973 or so.)

For a time, after the great oil
shortage of circa
1975 , we made great strides in this country producing sensible fuel
efficient vehicles. However in the past few years this has
been offset by the
purchase of 5000 plus pound V8 powered behemoths by more and
more people.
Bob Zannelli
New York