Re: Global Warming (NUCLEAR)

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Daniel Schroeder wrote:

The only way to reduce the CO2 emission significantly is to
make electric industry nuclear, as in France.

The ONLY way? It might be the best way, or the way that's
most likely to be implemented, but it surely isn't the only way.

We could get electricity from wind
or from solar energy (thermal or PV)
or switch from coal to gas (until the gas runs out)
or raise the price of electricity so people use less
or pay people to replace their inefficient lights and appliances
or pay people to use their air conditioners less
or insulate our homes better
or use more solar energy for space heating and water heating
or make cars more efficient
or build better transit systems so people don't have to drive so much
or build better cities so people don't have to travel so far
or do a little bit of all these things.

C'mon, have some imagination!

Dan

Yes. One thing that never seems mentioned is using fuel cells for
home use. All the attention seems to be on making the cells small enough
for use in cars. Why not look the opposite direction and make each home
have an independent source of energy with that technology? I'd would
certainly buy one and cut the lines coming into my house; and I don't even
live in California :)

Mike Monce
Connecticut College