From: John Mallinckrodt [mailto:ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 3:00 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR))

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

... Turning spent nuclear fuel into products decaying in
hundreds of years (instead of tens of thousands of years)
would remove the need for the long-term underground
depositories, like Yucca Mountain, Nevada. ...

It never ceases to astonish me that "the public" is willing to
worry seriously about how we would safely store nuclear waste for
tens of thousands of years, when they show virtually no concern
about the myriad, *far* shorter term, and likely devastating
effects of our current and ever increasing overpopulation.