Re: Expanding Universe

Tim O'Donnell wrote:

Roger,
Let me clarify something after reading this article.
There is limited Doppler Redshift for bodies that are close
to ours, but most of the redshift we see is due to
gravitational effects. Is that correct or did I read
something else into this article?
Thanks,
Tim O'Donnell

Tim,

There are actually three types of wavelength shift:

* Cosmological redshifts, due to the expansion of the universe (the
"Hubble flow"). As an example, a cluster of galaxies at a distance of
50 megaparsecs (160 million light-years) has a recessional velocity
of about 3500 km/s, corresponding to a redshift z = (wavelength
shift)/(rest wavelength) = 0.012.

* Doppler shifts due to motion within the universe. As an example,
the galaxies that make up a cluster move within the cluster at speeds
of a few hundred km/s. These motions can be in any direction, so by
themselves they could produce either a blueshift or a redshift. As an
example, the galaxy M31 in Andromeda (part of the same cluster as the
Milky Way, and a mere 750 kiloparsecs away) is approaching us at 300
km/s. For our example cluster of galaxies at 50 megaparsecs, the
superposition of the motion of galaxies within the cluster on the
cosmological expansion gives a range of recessional velocities from
about 3200 to 3800 km/s. Doppler shifts of galaxies within clusters
are less important for more distant clusters, which have larger
cosmological redshifts.

* Gravitational redshifts. These appear when light climbs out of a
gravitational well. They are quite small - for instance, the
gravitational redshift of light emitted from Sirius B, a white dwarf
star, is about 0.0003. Gravitational redshifts are unimportant in
cosmological problems.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Roger

PS - I'll throw in a shameless plug for my astronomy textbook,
UNIVERSE (http://www.whfreeman.com/universe/)

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB