Re: emf, potential, voltage

At 11:40 3/18/01 -0500, John Denker wrote:

At 09:53 AM 3/18/01 -0600, brian whatcott wrote:
A resistor is a resistor when it is hot.
an oscilloscope shows the noise emf satisfactorily.

I wish I had an oscilloscope as nice as Brian's.

Let us assume
R = 1 meg
BW = 200 MHz

When I do the calculations, it seems
-- a cool (300K) resistor has 0.91 mV RMS thermal noise, while
-- a hot (400K) resistor has 1.05 mV RMS thermal noise.

It takes a verrry fine oscilloscope to see that ... rather better than your
garden-variety classroom scope.

Let me know how fine an oscilloscope it takes when you use the blow torch
I specified in my initial post. My scope cost me $50 (used).
You might need to put out a dollar or two for the ceramic resistor too....

I guess it just takes a little persistance to dislodge these
misapprehensions about 'emfs not applying to resistors' from a physicists'
stock of 'givens'? :-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!