Re: funny capacitor

Isn't all of this just an exercise in numerically solving Laplace's
Equation with specified boundary conditions?

It's well known that the solution of Laplace's Equation is unique
(Statement 6a), continuous (Statement 6b), satisfies the mean-value
property (Statement 6c), and can be numerically solved using the relaxation
method (Statement 7).

Griffiths describes how to do the calculation ("Introduction to
Electrodynamics," 3rd ed., at page 112); as does Purcell, "Electricity and
Magnetism," 2nd ed., problem 3.30, p. 119 (cited by Griffiths).

I thank Mr. Kowalski for taking the time to write a program which performs
the calculations and saves us from having to reinvent the wheel (or, in my
case, to dig out my sophomore-level heat transfer notes). I'll also assign
this problem in my scientific programming class since the mean-value
property is easier to understand (and, therefore, code) than the Laplacian.

The idea that the solution to Laplace's equation represent states of
"minimal potential energy" is more intriguing. A variational calculation
should show this. The potential energy density u is proportional to E^2 =
(grad V)^2, and integrating u over all space gives the total potential
energy U. To find the extremal, set the variation of U equal to
zero. Integration by parts would give you that grad.(grad V) = 0, which is
Laplace's equation.

An interesting modification to Mr. Kowalski's program would be to calculate
the total potential energy for the space at each iteration and show that it
does in fact approach a minimum.

I confess I did not read all the posts in this thread, which at times were
tediously pedantic.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
gcarlson@mail.win.org