Re: funny capacitor (EUREKA ?)

OK, Folks.... Let's evaluate our progress. Two items:

1) Consider the following proposition: "A good way to stay out of
trouble, especially in an introductory class, is to measure any voltage V
relative to some Traditional reference, such as a large conducting
enclosure tied to earth/ground." Raise your hand if you _disagree_ with
this proposition.

2) Consider another proposition: "For describing an ordinary capacitor,
the expression
Q = C V
is simpler and therefore preferable to something like
Q = C delta_V
especially in an introductory class." Raise your hand if you _disagree_
with this proposition.

My preferred answers, and my reasons for raising these issues, will follow
shortly.