From: "brian whatcott" <inet@INTELLISYS.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: emf, potential, voltage

At 23:20 3/12/01 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Consider any two terminal device with a current of I amperes flowing
through it down a potential hill of V volts. That means there is an
electrostatic field in the device which is giving energy to the charge
carriers as they pass through the device, down the potential hill. If
this
were the whole story, the carriers would emerge from the device with
increased kinetic energy, and the current out of the device would exceed
the
current into the device.
/snip/
Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
www.velocity.net/~trebor

Consider a stream of vehicles entering an on ramp at 10 miles per hour.
Let us call the current or 'traffic flow rate' x vehicles per hour.

Before they merge on the thoroughway, vehicles match speed with the
through way traffic travelling at 30 miles per hour.
What is their flow rate at this time?

(They have gained kinetic energy, but the on ramp exit current has
*not* increased, the traffic flow rate is *still* x vehicles per hour)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!