Re: Pb

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
To demo this kind of transformation I drop a steel ball onto a one of
the temperature sensitive color changing post cards (the Exploratorium
sell these). The card must be on a hard floor. A color change occurs at

I have done this with a LARGE (2kg) iron ball onto a section of 1x4 and
then placed the LC card on the spot where it hit and noticed a very nice
temperature rise.

I recently bought a pair of 2" steel ball bearings that are smacked together
to burn a small hole in a sheet of paper between the two (the edges are
charred and the paper smells burned). This demo was pointed out to me on
TAP-L and can be bought as the "Smashing! Steel Sphere Demo Kit" at
<http://www.teachersource.com/catalog/index.html?id=4ab3e577b0fc988c025a95a8cad89096>

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner