Re: funny capacitor

At 04:12 PM 3/10/01 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
> To repeat: There is no God-given grounded shell at
>"infinity" with respect to which we should measure voltages.
>There can be an arbitrary gauge(t) at
> infinity, just like anywhere else

Agreed!

Cool.

I only need
a reference point far enough removed from my localized system of
conductors that changes in the charge distribution of my system are
undetectable there.

If you had said "want" rather than "need" I would have agreed. It is OK to
want a distant reference. Sometimes you might even get it.

But..... having one is not *needed* for doing any sort of physics that I
know about. The beautiful thing about gauge invariance is that you can
pick *anywhere* as your voltage reference: near, far, big, little, chassis
ground, earth ground, whatever.

(PS this whole thread is restricted to the low-frequency limit. If there
are stray time-varying magnetic fields running around, the whole notion of
"ground" goes out the window. Indeed the whole notion of voltage as a
potential goes out the window.)