Re: Boiling

Perhaps we could set aside the discussion of woolly mammoths and dinosaurs
for a moment and answer the questions at hand

What is the boiling point of water at 1atm?

Since when?

I am discourage to report that a web search of physics sites was unhelpful
-- all agreed with the wooly mammoth crowd. That is until Larry Smith
kindly sent me the following URL:

<http://www.sizes.com/units/temperature_centigrade.htm>

which alas still has some mushiness.

I finally had to go to a _PChem_ book for the data I needed! Thank you
chemists for being aware of the world of science!

Here is my collated report:

In 1741 Anders Celsius introduced his version of a temperature scale -- The
scale was defined with the ice point at 100 and the steam point at 0
degrees. He called it the centigrade scale because of the 100 degrees in
the definition. After his death the two points were reversed. In 1948 the
name of the scale was changed to Celsius in his honor. The change was in
view of the fact that the scale had nothing to do with 1/100 of the angular
measure of a grad.

In 1954 the Celsius scale was _re-defined_ to use the Triple Point of
water. This point was defined as 273,16 K exactly -- with the idea in mind
that the ice point would then be close to 0 C and the steam point would be
close to 100 C but alas not exactly. And the Celsius scale was defined to
be offset from the Kelvin scale by exactly 273.15. Thus the TP is exactly
0.01 C.

And experiment shows the ice point to be 0.0000 +-0.0001 and the steam
point to be 99.975 C

If the TP had been defined with more precision, the steam point could have
been closer to 100.

We see then that we do not use the Celsius scale today -- but close -- yet
we still call it thus.

Now, if you like, we can return to culinary pursuits.

But the answers to my questions are 99.975 C and 1954

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen