Re: Laptop requirement?

I have students print the equations in the spreadsheet as well as the page with the
numerical results. In Excel you can view the formulas by holding down the CTRL key
and pressing the left apostrophe key (found above the Tab key). When the
spreadsheet is printed the formulas will be displayed. Use the CTRL-left
apostrophe combination a second time to switch the view back to the results of the
formulas.

Greg Clements
Midland Lutheran College

"Ivan E. Rouse" wrote:

We also have about the same situation with extensive use of our department
computers for acquisition and analysis but I have two comments:
1. I realize that Excel and other spreadsheets are everywhere but when a
student does a calculation using a spreadsheet it is not at all apparent
what method, i.e. equation, he used since the equations are not visible
just results. That seems oppposed to the idea that they should show their
work so the instructor knows how they got their results. Perhaps there are
ways that students can explicitly state their equations and get around this
problem. For this reason several departments on our campus have
standardized on Mathcad since the equations are up front and clear.