Re: funny capacitor

At 04:58 AM 3/6/01 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Qi = SUM Cij Vj is invertible because it is NOT gauge invariant

I suspect we have a communication problem because Cij means different
things to different people: if it means the *full* capacitance matrix
that's one thing, and if it means the *diminished* capacitance matrix
that's another thing.

In practice one can invert the Cij of a particular geometry

In practice, the following is the *full* capacitance matrix Cij for a
particular geometry:
2.86, -0.460, -1.15, -1.25
-0.460, 2.86, -1.15, -1.25
-1.15, -1.15, 3.26, -0.96
-1.25, -1.25, -0.96, 3.46

I would be very impressed if anybody can invert this, where by "invert" I
mean exhibit a matrix B such that B C = I, the identity matrix.

OTOH, starting from the *full* capacitance matrix it is possible to form a
number of different *diminished* capacitance matrices, and these
*diminished* capacitance matrices are invertible.

The *full* capacitance matrix is gauge invariant and manifestly
charge-conserving. The *diminished* capacitance matrix is neither.