Re: funny capacitor

At 08:48 AM 3/5/01 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
1) A cold triode is a "funny capacitor". For any chosen set
of Vj we would have a specific Qi set, and VICE VERSA.

Really? Vice versa? How do we know that?
-- Is this the 11th commandment? Is it a newly-enacted law of nature?
-- Has gauge invariance been repealed?
-- Is this a consequence of Maxwell's equations?
If so, how is it derived?

I claim that gauge invariance _is_ a direct consequence of Maxwell's equations:
Q = del^2(phi) = del^2(phi + const)

for any distribution of potential phi and for any const independent of
position.

2) The VICE VERSA implies that the inversion should be
possible. If it does happen in reality (as one and only one
reproducible solution) then our description of reality should
match it.

Where is there the slightest evidence that this does happen in reality?

There is abundant evidence that the opposite happens in reality.

Specifically, consider a DC circuit consisting of a number of batteries and
capacitors. We wish to find the voltage Vi at each node (i), and the
corresponding charge distribution.

Now, every voltmeter I've ever seen has *two* leads. WLoG let's call them
the black lead and the red lead. Now I choose to hook the black lead to
node 17 and measure all the other nodes with the red lead. You choose to
hook the black lead to node 7 and measure all the other nodes with the red
lead.

We get two different sets of voltage numbers, but there is only one charge
distribution. The two different voltage-distributions differ by a gauge
transformation. That's what happens in reality. Get used to it.

> But JohnD discovered that this is not true. How come
> that others were wrong for so long?

I'm not responsible for what other people say. I'm only responsible for
what I say.