Re: Middle School Physical Science Texts: dishonesty

Mark,

My response is below.

<< Huh!!!

I guess that I took that course in atomic physics for nothing. It might
have been a bit more satifying for the student to learn that there are some
general rules that one can use to predict atomic structure.>>

Where did the "general rules" come from? Do you agree with the rules? Can
you explain them to me within any level of why questions? Or, will you
finally admit that these are the rules of the game, be as they are?

<< Even for more basic questions where we don't have a pat answer, it seems to
me that it would be better to say that "we don't know the answer to that
question, but you might be the one to find out" rather than to tell the kid
that "that's just the way it is".>>

What's wrong with saying, "That's the way it is," if this is the correct
answer? How do you explain the hydrogen atom having one proton and one
electron?

<< The former is a good scientific answer, the latter is just ignorant
authoritarianism. But, I'm just being a bit irascible this morning.>>

Tell me what makes "we don't know the answer to that question, but you might
be the one to find out" a good scientific answer. Why is it better than
saying this is what has been observed in nature (that's the way it is).

Also, I don't have any problem with there being an authority figure in a
classroom. I certainly hope the teacher is the authority figure. Concerning
the ignorant part, this seems a typical response in the "intellectual"
community as part of an argument. Please explain.

Bob Carlson

Mark
http://www.IrascibleProfessor.com