Re: A funny capacitor.

I couldn't stop working on the funny capacitor problem and
I want to share two items. The good news is that I was able
to confirm William's prediction by the direct number crunching
method (Laplace equation).

* *
* *
-50 ******* ******* +50 V
* *
* *

*********
*
* 0 volts

Following Rorer Haar's suggestion the potential on the horizontal
plate was fixed at V3=0 volts. The distance of that plate was
changing from run to run. In the position shown the positive and
negative charges on horizontal plates were found to be 185 units.
They decreased to about 130 unit when the distance from the center
was changed from 7 to 17. The center is where the wires would
cross. My units are arbitrary because the 4*PI*eps_o was
ignored and the unit of distance was "one cell".

Yes, I could have used "a gauge" to turn the units into
picocoulombs and expressed C (between the vertical
plates) in picofarads (C=Q/100). I will share the bad
news in a separate message.
Ludwik Kowalski