Re: PHYS-L Digest - 2 Mar 2001 - Special issue (#2001-100)

Some on this list would refer to this as "generalized infalling."

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
Xannah ASE
St. Peters, MO
gcarlson@xannah.com

At 01:31 PM 3/2/01 -0700, you wrote:

I mostly agree with this. But I want to point out that the concept of
the matter inside the event horizon as being characterized as "infalling"
is misleading. An observer *outside* the horizon *does* understand any
matter falling through the horizon (even if it may take an infinite time
for it to *appear* to do so) to be legitimately called 'infalling'.

But once the matter is inside the event horizon it is *not* falling
through space in time toward a central singularity in space. Rather, the
matter finds itself in a region of spacetime where the space itself is
contracting.