Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:34:19 -0600
From: Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>
Subject: Re: Singularity Temperature

Hi all-
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Tim O'Donnell wrote:

> Is there a temperature at the singularity?
> I would think as things enter a black hole they would
> generate heat as they are being "rearranged" and
> compressed. Would the be a temperature once it reached
> the singularity? Can up as a discussion in the classroom.

The meaning of <at the singularity> is still not understood.
It awaits, in approximately the language of Misner, Thorne and Wheeler,
the consummation of the wedding between quantum mechanics and general
relativity.
In any event, matters inside the black hole's event horizon are
not observable, so I'm not sure that your question has meaning. If I
were to answer your question "yes" there is no possible experiment that
could falsify my answer.
Regards,
Jack