Re: Lowest energy level and increase in enthropy

Too add a footnote to what David is saying:

It is probably better to say that "things have a tendency to increase their
entropy" (when considered as an isolated entity); rather than saying

"> >We learn that things have a tendency to go to their lowest energy
levels."

Often this corresponds to a tendency to head towards lowest energy levels
but not always. The "not always" is important enough that I wish students
never learned the phrase "things have a tendency to go to their lowest
energy
levels."

Why does an electron in an excited hydrogen atom decay to its ground state
and give off a photon? I'd not answer that the system seeks a state of
lowest energy; but rather that the state of electron in ground state with
photon flying off is entropically favored compared to the excited state (or
indeed other excited states).

Joel Rauber