Re: "Directed" vs "Basic" research

>... the direction [of research projects] is best
>chosen by the worker and not by the bosses, or "society" or whatever.

I was giving a review of my ongoing research at an IBM divisional meeting;
The division head was in attendance. Near the end of the presentation the
head asked "How do you know when you are through" "Sol", I replied, "this
is research. One is never 'through'" Later my manager came to my office
and told me that he was instructed to give me "hell" for the comment and
the rebuf was recorded in my jacket.

So much for bosses.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com