Re: "Directed" vs "Basic" research

Bernard Clayet wrote:

I agree -- I didn't think the moon project was basic research -- I do approve
of some "big science", e.g. Hubble and SCSC, AS long as it doesn't deprive the
poor of education, contraceptives, etc. And certainly lotsa small science.

Only engineering can be directed?

Anything can be directed, the issue is does the direction take us
along a useful path? Direction from on high almost invariably is
toward "more of the same," and "if one was good, two will be twice as
good." Good science does not come from that sort of direction. The
direction that counts is that which comes from the results of the
scientist's and colleagues' work. Remember that Bednarz's boss at IBM
in Switzerland told him and his collaborator (whose name I've
forgotten) to drop the line of investigation they were following only
weeks before they found the first of the high T-sub-c
superconductors--by ignoring the advice of their boss. I'm also sure
that they were not so gauche to mention that advice to their boss as
they were leaving to pick up their Nobel.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://haskell@ncssm.edu>