Re: spinoffs

<< The DOD is
NEVER in it for altruistic reasons. I shudder to think what
kind of weapons could be developed if we truly understood
all there is to know about the subatomic world. In the
interest of self-preservation, I submit that there is some
knowledge that is better left unknown. >>

Often the only way to get public money for pure research is
to let the politicians and general public believe that the
research has potential military benefit. After all Ronald
Raygun got all his answers from the good book and Dubya is
the reincarnation of Raygun. In actually I doubt that
particle research has any potential military benefit. Keep
that under your hat though or we may lose Fermi Lab and
Brookhaven.

Bob Zannelli

I would think there is a lot of miltary potential in particle
research, not from the stuff I read about coming from
those labs, but stuff that may go on that I don't know
about and probably don't want to know about.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur