Re: [Science] Moon landing Hoax (fwd)

From: Barbara Reger <breger@warren.k12.in.us>

I am currently teaching about the History of the Space Program. Many of my
students viewed that TV special on Fox 59 last week and now are arguing
that we did not really land on the moon. I do not have what I call 'good
proof' that it was not a hoax to counter what that show said in regard to:
the different direction of shadows

Someone on my local forum forwarded this link:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

You can also find a bit of discussion about it here:

http://www.escribe.com/science/sciclub/
http://www.amasci.com/sci-list/sci-list.html

I missed that show myself, but from the descriptions it sounds like an
example NOT of science, but of PERSUASION. If the goal is to find out the
truth, then the creators of that show should present all arguments from
supporters and detractors alike. On the other hand, if the goal is
persuasion, then the truth is secondary. The truth even becomes the
enemy, since clarity and accuracy can expose any weak arguments and flawed
evidence. In other words, if you want to persuade people to adopt your
viewpoint, it makes perfect sense to be dishonest. (Hiding counter-
evidence is a lie by omission.)

This highlights an important difference between Science and Debate. In
Debate (including law and politics), it's up to your opponent to find
weaknesses in your arguments, and your goal is to win the argument. To
avoid losing, you should take care that your opponent does not discover
your weaknesses. If you are wrong, but you can keep anyone from finding
this out, then you've won.

In science, your goal is not to win. Instead you are supposed to drop
your defenses and attack your OWN CASE, while giving aid to your opponent!
The goal is to discover the truth, even when it brings the vast personal
embarassment of becoming a 'loser' and having your mistakes exposed in
public. Who better knows your weaknesses than you yourself?

Perhaps it would be instructive to have a "backwards debate", where those
who believe the FOX show try to debunk it, and those who believe that
the moon landing was real try to find good evidence for a NASA conspiracy.
When your goal is to find the truth, then you must avoid becoming
"emotionally involved" with defending one particular viewpoint, and a good
way to do this is to switch places in the debate.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L