Re: Taste: Microwave Heating vs Boiling

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, William Beaty wrote:

But seriously folks, it would be interesting if the organization of
water's crystalline microstructure was affected by different heating
methods. The "Mpemba effect" (where hot water freezes faster than cold)
probably involves the degree of supercooling that water will support
before spontaneously freezing. If a recent history of heating can affect
later supercooling, maybe it can also affect how our taste receptors
respond.

Superheating and spercooling are extremely sensitive to impurities, be
they dissolved metals or dissolved air bubbles. At the temperature (and
pressure) of a nice cup of hot tea, I am unaware of any study indicating
any sort of persistent "crystalline microstructure" in liquid water.

The concentrations of impurities, however, can be very different depending
on the history of the sample preparation.

--
Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics