Re: Solving field equations in Excel

I wrote:
> ... Farther right is a third grid that calculates the charge
> density (charge per unit volume). In D=2, charge per unit
> volume means the same thing as charge per unit area. ...

Then at 02:04 AM 2/11/01 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wondered:
Up to this time I was thinking and calculating distributions
of sigma only in terms of surface charge densities (C/m^2).
My understanding of the above (without checking it numerically
with numbers in previous grids) was that numbers are charges
per unit area along the infinitely long rods. These areas are
perpendicular to the screen. The numbers are facing us but
charges to which they refer reside in planes perpendicular
to the screen.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I have rewritten the passage in question to say
Farther right is a third grid that calculates the charge density (charge
per unit volume). If you add up all the cells in a given area, you get a
charge per unit length. This means length in the Z direction; it is the
charge per unit length of the object rooted in the given area and
extending infinitely far perpendicular to the screen.

So what my charge per unit volume is dimensionally correct; it is just the
charge per unit length, per unit area. (Length of rods, area of
cells.) That's how a D=3 person would describe it. A genuine flatlander
would describe it quite differently; the laws of physics look different in
flatland and I don't have time to go into that right now.