Re: capacitance of a disk

Regarding Bob Sciamanda's library research:
I can confirm that this result agrees with an exact calculation by a
completely different method:
W. Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" , 2nd ed, McGraw Hill, 1939,
pg 114.

That figures. I was fairly confident that someone must have solved
this problem somewhere before, but I didn't want to wimp out and go
searching for it without at least trying to solve it myself first.
Often I can get a solution to a problem (assuming it is solvable) faster
by trying to solve it myself than by searching around a library and/or
wading through hundreds of worthless hits on google or some other
search engine. Then again, I also have been known to waste an awful lot
of time trying to reinvent the wheel when a simple trip to the library
would have been a more productive use of my time.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu