Re: Physical mythology

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Now you may be saying to yourself "Why is he telling us this story?
What does it have to do with mythology?" Well, tell me, which kind of
lightning rod do you think is superior? What informed your opinion on
this topic, and at what age did you first learn the correct answer?
The inquiring mind wants to know.

I've seen news articles in the last couple of years about competing
designs. The controversy still rages! But now it's regarding pointed
rods, versus rods which look like the skeletons of umbrellas. Which one
more reliably launches an upwards-going plasma filament?

I suspect that the differing protection given by various designs pales to
insignificance when compared to using no protection at all.

And no, a sharp point on your roof cannot discharge the bottom of a
cumulonimbus cloud which is many thousands of feet above the rod and many
thousands of feet in diameter. :)

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L