Re: electrostatic shielding

Leigh Palmer wrote:

1) Let me add the obvious; the value of G changes
gradually from 1/(2*Pi) to 1/(4*Pi*) when the distance
is increasing. The first value is for a very large flat
metallic disk, where sigma=Q/(2*Pi*R^2). The second
is for a point charge (the disk seen from "infinity").

That is certainly not obvious to me. The value of G cannot be
as large as 1/(2*pi) because the charge on the disk will flow
preferentially to the edge; the surface charge density at the
center must be less than Q/(2*pi)R^2

That is correct. I was thinking (not realistically) about a disk of
uniform S(r) distribution; Q/2 on each side.

The sharpness of the disk edges will probably play a
very significant role in the S(r) distribution.

I think that is not the case if the disc is thin (thickness t
of disc is much less than the radius R).

Intuitively I would expect the opposite. For a thinner disk
more of the total Q will be near the edge. I am assuming
that the edge is a circle (radius=0.5*thickness). For a very
thin disk the E near the edges will result in a corona flow,
like from a needle. Is this wrong?
Ludwik Kowalski