Re: dielectric constant

If the result wasn't spectacular, maybe the "filling factor" wasn't
optimized. Try just a plastic zip-lock type of bag between the plates and
fill it with water. Wolfgang

A thin rectangular plastic cell is placed between two capacitor plates and
the capacitance is noted. Then fill the cell with water while it's still
sitting between the plates and watch the capacitance go way up! Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. I've thought of a variant on that which I will try.
I'm glad someone has seen this done.

After writing the paragraph above I went down to the demonstration
room where my colleague Jeff Rudd keeps lots of sealing wax and string
handy. In no time flat we concocted a capacitor which is an adaptation
of Wolfgang's suggestion. It wasn't spectacular (I had hoped it would
be), but the capacitance increased by thirty percent when the water
was added. I will post details, with photos on my web site, tomorrow.

Leigh