Re: summer courses at ASU for physics teachers

Thank you for the information I will consider the opportunities at ASU. Can you
tell me if there are any similar programs available in either Missouri, Illinois or
at least somewhere in the midwest this summer?

Jane Jackson wrote:

ASU Graduate Program for High School Physics Teachers
1-27-01

The Dept of Physics and Astronomy at Arizona State University is now
offering a summer program of courses specifically designed to meet the
professional development needs of in-service physics and physical
science teachers. Teachers may want to enroll in these courses in order to earn
credit towards re-certification, or to pursue a Master of Natural Science
degree (MNS). For most courses, the prerequisites are two semesters
of college physics and introductory calculus.

If you'd like to participate in the graduate program described below,
please e-mail jane.jackson@asu.edu to register your interest in specific
courses. (A teacher can take 1 course, a few courses, or the entire
program.)

Browse our web site, <http://modeling.asu.edu>, for more details and to
apply to Arizona State University.

COURSE SCHEDULING:
The following MNS courses will be offered during summer 2001.

1st summer session (3 weeks)
(June 11- 29)
PHS 530: Methods of Physics Teaching I (Modeling Workshop in mechanics.)
PHS 531: Methods of Physics Teaching II (Modeling Workshop in 2nd sem. content.)
PHS 540: Integrated Physics and Chemistry
PHS 570: Spacetime Physics

2nd summer session (5 weeks)
(July 2 - Aug 3)
PHS 505: Energy and the Environment (no prerequisites)
PHS 560: Matter and Light
PHS 564: Light and Electron Optics
PHS 581: Structure of Matter
PHS 598: Leadership Workshop

The courses in the first summer session will start two weeks later than
usual to allow teachers outside Arizona the opportunity to participate.
Due to the compressed schedule, teachers will be allowed to enroll in
only one course in the first summer session. In the second summer
session teachers can take two of the 3-credit MNS courses
along with the 1-credit Leadership course (PHS 598). For those who
wish to review or strengthen their background in electricity and
magnetism, we recommend that you take PHY 131, the 2nd course in
the calculus-based physics series, during the 2nd summer session.

The course offerings in 2001 will be repeated in subsequent summers.
Thus, a teacher who attends both summer sessions can complete most
of the requirements for an MNS degree within three summers.

The program will be geared for up to 100 teachers each summer.
Financial assistance may be available from a pending grant. Information
on this will be posted in March, 2001.

COSTS:
ASU Summer tuition is a bargain: $119 per semester hour.
(NO out of state tuition!) Fees are about $15 - for excellent rec center!
A single dorm room costs about $15 per day.
Furnished apartments within walking distance.
Super 8 motel, within walking distance, has nice $30/day rooms.
A list of housing options will be posted on our web site by Feb.
3 cafeteria meals, all you can eat & delicious, cost about $18 per day.

(I'll post more info soon. Jane)

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>

--
Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think. -- Niels Bohr