Re: interesting pic for a classroom exercise?

Curiously the Boeing data for the MD-11 family omits the "cruising
altitude" but gives

Typical Cruise Speed
at 35,000 feet
0.85
Mach
565 mph
(910 km/h)

for a 747 (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747-400/product.html)

bc

P.s. An aeroplane is a "product?"

Leigh Palmer wrote:

cut ----

Using 60 m for the (projected) length of the plane, 33 minutes of arc
for the apparent diameter of the Sun (near perihelion), Latitude 48.783
degrees N and longitude 1.95 degrees E, I get the plane to be a slant
distance of 36 km, or 34 km distant at an altitude of 37,000 feet. The
plane is flying eastward, and perhaps someone will know if that is a
reasonable altitude under the circumstances.

Leigh

(The diameter and altitude of the Sun were found using Starry Night Pro.
I used the flat Earth approximation in this calculation, having already
given far too much time to it. Nonetheless, thanks, Stefan - a nice
problem, indeed.)