Re: interesting pic for a classroom exercise?

At 03:29 PM 1/26/01 -0500, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
<http://perso.club-internet.fr/legault/s010113.jpg>

Q: how far away is the plane from the camera?

My zeroth-order back of the envelope, unchecked, rough estimate, is
30 mi. Seems reasonable, but this depends linearly on the assumed
length of the plane in my approximation. People familiar with
airliners can probably recognize the plane immediately and know its
length...

Very cute.

I can't think of what it could be other than an MD-11

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/commercial/C1K36-MD11.html
http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/history/mdc/md-11.htm

Wingspan 51.8m
Length 61.2
Height 17.7

I don't know if the quoted length represents nose to end of fuselage, or
nose to rearmost point of the tail. Probably the latter. I get something
like 25 miles.