Re: Questions in the Classroom

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I was wondering if teachers at the high school level also go through
this period of personal development.

My most exciting years of teaching were the first year of teaching PSSC
where I finally began to understand most of introductory Physics, then the
first year I taught astronomy ( I never studied it formally but I knew
some Physics and my grandfather was an astronomer....true story on my
qulaifications) and the first year of teaching AP Physics where I had to
relearn my calculus. Today my attempts to teach Relativity is still full
of my sharing with my students that I am still on a steep learning curve
and that we can do it together. It is hard to create this image in every
class, but when I do and really share my sense of wonder with the
students, the class is magical!

It is important to establish an air of being a competent learner , none
the less.

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School