Re: N/kg versus m/s^2

I've resisted jumping into this fray because I could not see anything
useful coming out of the discussions.

On the other hand, I now think I can see something that is negative coming
out of the discussion.

In a recent reply to the thread
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, John Denker wrote:
At 08:28 PM 1/25/01 -0600, John M. Clement wrote:

Under the more rational treatment g is then stated as being 9.8N/kg at the
surface of the earth, not 9.8m/s^2.

According to physics as I understand it, 9.8N/kg is formally identical to
9.8m/s^2. The foregoing attempts to create a distinction without a
difference. Calling it "the more rational approach" doesn't make it
rational.

+=================================+

Here I have to take exception! Yes, 9.8N/kg is technically equal to
9.8m/s^2 but I would strongly suggest that they are not identical in
information content. Using g=9.8m/s^2 and the words "acceleration due to
gravity" is almost guaranteed to evoke a wrong mental picture or
association in the minds of at least our introductory students which may
hang on into later classes. OTOH: Using g=9.8N/kg has two positive things
going for it:

1) it steps around the confusion that is rampant among our students about
"acceleration due to gravity", and
2) conveys a strong analogy to the unit for electric field N/C.

After all, would we would never say (or would we?) that because the
product of the force unit with the length unit is technically equivalent
to the energy unit (Nm=J) that it would be OK to measure/quote the results
of a calculation of torque in units of Joules. Even if there is a unit
equivalence here, it is at least misleading and I think just plain wrong!

Just one person's opinion of course.

+=================================+=================================+
ERTEL SENDS.
{best viewed in Courier} /^\-/^\
/ \
| * |
|#########|
===========================
/ Prof. John P. Ertel \
/ USNA-NESA Faculty Rep \
/ veteran Eagle Scout \
+==============================================================+
| JPE@usna.edu or JPErtel@BigFoot.com |
| Physics Department, 9C Office : 410-293-6657 |
| Michelson Rm-338 DSN : 281-6657 |
| 572 Holloway RD FAX : 410-293-3729 |
| U. S. Naval Academy |
| Annapolis, MD 21402-5026 HomeVoice : 410-757-6618 |
| {Call HomeVoice to activate FAX/DATA} HomeFAX : 410-757-6619 |
http://physnet.usna.edu/physics/Faculty/Ertel/ertel.html
http://physnet.usna.edu/ECAs/NESA/nesa.htm