Re: "all accelerations are 9.8m/s^2"

Teaching logic may not work. There is evidence that shows that courses in
logic do not actually improve the ability of students to think. Also
students in grade school are probably not able to comprehend logic, as they
have not yet been able to develop the thinking skills. Remember that the
transition to formal logic is at age 11+, but few actually make that
transition. Just because it is included in the curriculum, does not mean
that it is comprehended. My data shows that math does not seem to raise
student thinking skills much, but physics "can" be effective.

A simple Piagetian test might reveal that your students are actually quite
low. It is possible to tell them the answers to the test, but a simple
interview reveals that they do not understand the reasoning behind the
answers. Bringing them up require intensive Socratic dialog, and elicit,
confront, resolve strategies. See the papers and the book by Shayer and
Adey. Arnold Arons also mentions this problem in his book. Significantly
raising average student thinking skills takes about 2 years of work
according to Shayer and Adey, so you have your job cut out for you. A mini
course is very unlikely to be effective, but a concerted year long effort
may have some benefit.

High Hake gain on the FCI or F&M evaluations may be an indicator of
increased thinking skill as there is a strong correlation between thinking
skill and gain on those tests.